Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Harding High names Walt Aikens new football coach

Harding High has taken the “interim” off football coach Walter Aikens’ title.

Aiken will coach the Rams’ football and basketball teams during the 2014-15 season.

Aikens was named Harding’s interim football caoch just weeks before the 2013 season began. The Rams began with a three-game win streak, that included a win over rival West Charlotte. Harding finished 3-7 last season and has not had a winning season since William Perkins’ 2007 team was 8-4. That was the Rams only winning season in the past 10 years. Since the 2007 team won eight games, Harding is 14-49.

Aikens, well-liked at the school, wants to establish a good foundation for his school’s football team in 2014.

“Last year,” he said, “it was a last minute thing and I was doing what I could. But this year, I’ll be over the whole program. After going through it this year, I can do both and I’ve already got a plan of attack of how to do it while being able to continue to do my preseason basketball workouts as well.”

Aikens, 49, doesn’t plan to stay with the football team long-term, however.

“I’m going to dive into this year,” he said, “and I’m going to try to get the (football) program going in the right direction and hopefully in a year or so, someone can come in and be dedicated to it and just be focused on football alone. I want to be the starting point with getting the program going where it should be.”

0 comments: