Monday, August 30, 2010

Ardrey Kell's Pickett explodes for 276 rush yards

Ardrey Kell senior running back Justus Pickett had a magical night last week at North Mecklenburg.


Pickett rushed for 276 yards and three touchdowns. He had more than 100 return yards and had three catches for 29 yards in the Knights’ 34-14 win. His first score came on a 59-yard touchdown run less than two minutes into the first quarter.


“I knew I was bound to break one,” Pickett said. “I saw the hole open up and I knew I had to hit it and burst. As soon as I saw that opening, I knew it was going to be a touchdown.”


Pickett’s rushing total was the second best in school history and tied for the 22nd best rushing performance in Mecklenburg County history. Last season, Pickett rushed for 348 yards and two touchdowns against South Mecklenburg. That performance stands as the third-best in county history behind Charlotte Catholic’s Ben Herlocker (359 yards in 2006) and Myers Park’s Aaron Bradley (367 in 2004).


Ardrey Kell coach Adam Hastings, who got a win in his first game Friday, said Pickett is considering Wake Forest, Stanford, Southern California and Illinois for college.


Pickett was a second team selection on the Observer’s All-Mecklenburg team last season.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats my boy Justus!!! Way to run that ball! I love ya, but you know whats goin to happen when dem Bulldogs come over to AK! Get all u can get now!