Friday, May 14, 2010

Olympic basketball star Darius Carrier signs with Lander

GREENWOOD - Olympic High's Darius Carrier, a 6-7 post player, will join the Lander men's basketball team this fall announced Bearcat head coach Jeff Burkhamer.

Carrier averaged 11 points and 6.5 rebounds per game while shooting 50 percent from the field his senior year at Olympic High School. He led the Trojans to a 19-8 record and the MEGA 7 Conference regular-season and tournament championships . As a junior, Carrier led the Trojans to a 23-5 record and the Queen City Conference regular-season and tournament titles.

“Darius Carrier is a terrific, young prospect," said Burkhamer. "We believe Darius' best basketball is still in front of him. He is a tremendous competitor and a warrior on the glass. He runs the floor in transition, has a good shooting range, and is a terrific rebounder on both ends of the floor. He will come to Lander after playing for Coach Ty Baumgardner, who is one of the finest basketball coaches in the state of North Carolina.”

“Since his freshman year, Darius has worked his tail off to become the best player on the court and the best student in the classroom that he can be," said Baumgardner. "His tremendous work ethic has been rewarded with this great opportunity. He is very long and a skilled post player who can run the floor, rebound, and is starting to develop his perimeter game. As he continues to gain weight and become stronger, he is going to be a really special player in the Peach Belt Conference. Lander is getting a steal in Darius Carrier.”

“Darius fills a need and gives us a solid, young, post player as we continue to build our team," added Burkhamer. "Darius is also a terrific student and should excel in the classroom. Olympic High School has prepared him well for college academics. We are thrilled that he chose Lander to continue his basketball and academic career. It is a perfect fit for him and for us.”

Carrier will pursue a degree in computer science at Lander.

“I feel this is a great opportunity for me academically and athletically," said Carrier. "I promised my parents I would get my degree, so that is a major priority for me. On the court, I feel that I can solidify the post game and continue to improve my game. Lander recruited me very hard throughout the year. I really enjoyed their players and coaching staff and was comfortable in Greenwood. Greenwood is a great college town, they have a great arena, and get outstanding support. I look forward to being a Bearcat.”

-- Lander sports information release

0 comments: