Thursday, January 21, 2010

Boone steps down as Butler's athletics director

Jim Boone, 57, said he will resign his athletics director position at Butler, effective June 30.

He's been at the school of six years and previously coached boys basketball at Alexander Central (head) and Watauga.

He plans to remain at the school as a social studies teacher.

"I have no idea what it would be like to leave at 2:15 and go home to my family," Boone said. "My mom's health is not so good. I have a daughter expecting my first grandchild in July and my son's company is moving him to Charlotte. I'm going to enjoy this time."

Boone's resignation leaves Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools with several high profile job openings.

Harding athletics director Russell Clayton recently resigned and West Charlotte athletics director Masanori Toguchi is leaving to become AD at the new Hough High in northern Mecklenburg County.

CMS also has football job openings to fill at Independence, West Meck, Ardrey Kell, Hough and Rocky River high schools.

-- Langston Wertz Jr.


Anonymous said...


Anonymous said...

Geiler will be Indy's coach next year. They will be tough as usual with most of the staff maintained. Aaron Brand and Josh Kranish are superstar assistants who will lead the program when Geiler retires in a few years.

Anonymous said...

Good for Boone. If I had to work with Newsome everyday, I would quit too!