Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Red Sox draft Char.Christian's Bard (again)


Well, at least the Boston Red Sox knew the phone number.

Boston picked Charlotte Christian pitcher Luke Bard in the 16th round of the Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft on Tuesday, the second time it picked a Bard brother in four years.

Daniel Bard, who pitched at Charlotte Christian and North Carolina, was Boston’s first-round choice in 2006. Last month, he was promoted to the majors, and has a 0.82 ERA in nine relief appearances.

On Tuesday, he pitched the final inning of Boston’s 7-0 victory against the New York Yankees, and twice hit 100 mph on the radar gun.

Luke Bard, a right-hander, was 10-0 with a 0.31 ERA this season, and helped Christian win the N.C. Independent Schools Athletic Association 3A championship. He had 90 strikeouts and opponents hit .111 against him.

“I was real excited,” Bard said. “Actually, I was out playing golf (Tuesday) when a friend texted me. Then the Red Sox called. I’m a huge Red Sox fan, obviously, because of my brother.”

Bard, who signed with Georgia Tech, is 6-foot-3 and 180 pounds. His fastball is consistently in the low-90s (mph), and his breaking pitches were effective all season.

Bard must now weigh the signing bonus Boston offers against playing in college. If he enrolls, he won’t be eligible to be drafted again until after his junior year.

“I can’t wait to pitch for Georgia Tech, but I’m looking forward to talking to the Red Sox soon,” Bard said. “They’re coming to see me pitch, and it’s definitely exciting. Then I’ll have to make a decision.”

- Cliff Mehrtens

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boston SUX!