Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Pack's Sidney Lowe give recruit "scholarship of his dreams"

Raleigh Athens Drive forward Josh Davis said he expected his recruitment to pick up this spring.

He had been contacted by some high major college basketball programs, and although none had offered him a scholarship, he still thought there might be some interest.

If no attractive offers came his way, Davis harbored thoughts that he might need to attend prep school for a year to further improve his basketball skills.

But Davis' dream became reality on Monday when N.C. State coach Sidney Lowe offered Davis the scholarship that he had wanted for years.

"This is what I have been hoping for," Davis said Tuesday. "Ever since I was in the ninth grade, I've wanted to play for State."

A volunteer assistant coach at Athens Drive took Davis to a Wolfpack game against Virginia three years ago. Davis decided that night he wanted to play for N.C. State.

"I knew State has been looking at me since they saw me at an elite camp," Davis said. "But it got serious very quickly."

On Saturday, Davis played for the North Carolina all-stars in the Carolinas All-Star Classic in Myrtle Beach, S.C. He led the North Carolina all-stars to a 106-82 victory over the South Carolina team. He made all five of his field-goal attempts and set a game record with 10 rebounds.

Davis was hoping that Lowe would offer him a scholarship when they arranged for a Monday on-campus visit.

"He talked about how they had been following me and where I could fit in on the team," Davis said. "We had talked about 15 or 20 minutes, and then he offered me."

The 6-foot-6 athlete is projected as a small forward, but he said Lowe believes he can defend several positions.

"A lot of it is going to depend on the matchups," Davis said. "I just want to get there and contribute any way that I can."

Davis averaged 25.1 points for the 22-6 Jaguars.

"This is a great opportunity for Josh," said Dave Telep, the director of recruiting for "The chance to play in your hometown for your dream school is a great opportunity for Josh.

"Now, he has to work his tail off and take advantage of this chance."

Davis joins an incoming class that includes 6-7 power forward Richard Howell of Marietta (Ga.) Wheeler, 6-4 shooting guard Lorenzo Brown of Roswell (Ga.) Centennial, and 6-5 shooting guard Scott Wood of Marion, Ind.

"I think it is a great class," Davis said. "I really think we are going to have a good team next year."

- Raleigh News & Observer