Friday, March 13, 2009

Butler High track star signs with Tennessee

Butler High’s Aslynn Halvorson, the Observer Girls’ Track Field Events Athlete of the Year, signed with Tennesee.

Halvorson, a senior, was the N.C. 4A champion in discus and shot put last spring. He shot put of 43 feet, 8.75 inches was the best in the state. Her discus throw of 155-8 was the second-best in N.C. prep history.

“I feel like Tennessee is close to home,” Halvorson said. “It’s far enough away where I feel I’m away at college, but close enough that I can come home on visits. The coach is great, and I felt like I’d fit in well in the program.”

Halvorson said she’ll concentrate on discus, hammer throw and shot put in college. She also considered an offer from Alabama.

“It was so hard deciding,” she said. “It’s a big relief having the decision out of the way. Every day, I’d get asked `Who did you pick?”

- Cliff Mehrtens