Wednesday, January 28, 2009

NCHSAA's Adams thinking retirement

Charlie Adams, 72, executive director of the N.C. High School Athletic Association, told the Observer Wednesday that he is strongly considering retirement.

Adams, who has has worked at the NCHSAA since he was 30, said he expects to make a decision next month about his future.

"My wife and I started talking over the Christmas holidays," said Adams, who is credited with creating one of the nation’s first high school endowment funds.

"We think we’re getting close. I started here in 1967 and I’ve got (more) longevity than any state association director in the country, and I need to be thinking about closing the chapter and turning the reigns over to someone."

The NCHSAA has a five-person committee of past presidents in place to begin a search for a successor, Adams said.

"I’ve always asked people, 'How do you know when it’s time to retire,’ " said Adams, who does not want toplay a role in naming a successor. "They say, 'You just know.’ I’ve never felt like I wanted to retire. But I’m starting to think that with the national travel, the state travel, all the things I’m doing over and over, that maybe it’s time to think about shutting down."

- Langston Wertz Jr.