Friday, October 5, 2007

Let the high school kids spike the ball, dadgumit!

I'm sitting in the press box at Providence Day, looking at the best natural grass field in town and waiting for the unbeaten Chargers to play the unbeaten Charlotte Latin Hawks, and I just had the greatest idea:

Let's let the kids spike the ball after touchdowns.

Blam!

The National Federation of High Schools, which governs public schools, has started a new rule to hopefully improve sportsmanship. I don't have a problem with that. It's just with how it's being implemented, at least in our state. Kids can't jump up and celebrate anymore. The slightest thing draws the flag and this flag means ejection.

It's taking some of the fun out of the game. Letting the kids spike the ball could put some of the fun back in. And I'm not talking about letting the players dance or get together for choreographed group celebrations. I'm talking a simple old-school spike.

Blam!

You all feeling this?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally, LW.I've seen players at Butler who after making a great play for a TD made no gesture whatsoever of excitement. They can't because they might get ejected. The NCHAA is ruling with too heavy of a hand.

Let'em spike!

Anonymous said...

Langston, I'm a reader of yours at ncpreps and c-varsity. This is the best idea you've had in a long time. HOw can we make this happen. I wanna see 'em spike, to

Anonymous said...

Act like you have been there before. Nothing makes a statement like a classy handoff to the ref.

Anonymous said...

Langston, I like the idea. It's a neat simple way to let our children celebrate.

Call It LIke I See It said...

This is a terrible idea. If you think players are not having fun this season, you need to get out of the pressbox and on the field.

I am sure in 30 years, the players are going to be looking back on their HS playing days thinking...man, if I could have spiked the ball, that would have made for so much more fun.

Anonymous said...

That would rule!

Anonymous said...

I'm not certain that spiking the ball is OK for high school. I do hate that the NCHAA has taken the emotion from an emotional game. The kids should be able to enjoy some type joy after playing well.

Anonymous said...

Langston, I love this idea. How can we make it happen? It's a simiple way to celebrate!

Anonymous said...

Players are allowed to celebrate with their teammates, if done in a manner that doesn't taunt or bait the opponent. High fives, chest bumps, etc. are all still perfectly legal in NC.

North Carolina Mortgage said...

Every player should be allowed to celebrate in a way that doesnt taunt the other team.

Every kid should be allowed to display their excitement just like that Dr. Pepper commercial.